Do you have the dedication, skills, knowledge and experience to help us improve the life of Palestine refugees? The United Nations Relief and Works Agency offers challenging opportunities for professionals interested working in a results-driven and diverse environment. If you are then we would like to hear from you.
UNRWA is the United Nations agency responsible for the protection, care and human development of a population of some 4.6 million Palestine refugees living in the Gaza Strip, the West Bank, Jordan, Lebanon, and the Syrian Arab Republic. The Agency is committed to assisting Palestine refugees in maintaining a decent standard of living, acquiring appropriate knowledge and skills, enjoying the fullest possible extent of human rights, and leading a long and healthy life. UNRWA is by far the largest UN operation in the Middle East with over 29,000 staff. Most of the staff members are refugees themselves, working directly to benefit their communities – as teachers, doctors, nurses or social workers
Research and Statistics Officer | مسؤول البحوث والاحصائيات
Location :Gaza Field
Type of Appointment : Fixed Term
Deadline for Application : 28 August 2017
Vacancy Announcement Number :06-08-2017
Grade : 14
Department/Division :DUO’s Office
In accordance with Agency policy and procedures, the ideal candidate:
– Produces, processes and analyses data from various sources (internally and externally) relevant to improving UNRWA’s operations, planning and advocacy efforts; aggregates and analyse data to paint a clear picture on socio-economic situation, refugee needs, target and vulnerable groups for UNRWA humanitarian assistance;
– Coordinates the development of high quality charts graphs, maps and infographics to promote data utilization, dissemination and visualization; Support Monitoring and Evaluation team in the area of research methodology, sampling and qualitative and quantitative data collection techniques;
– Supports Programmes in exploring and developing innovative areas of research on needs, gaps and assessing impact; provide technical support in data analysis;
– Serves as the field’s focal person for analysis and maintenance of various refugee datasets used for different reporting purposes; builds a strong professional relationship with a network of humanitarian clusters from other governmental, non-governmental and international organizations for better data sharing and analysis;
– Coordinates with UNRWA programmes and Results Based Management focal points to collect and analyze data from various databases to assess programmes achievement and challenges; contributes on drafting of UNRWA common performance indicators, target and baseline setting, indicators definitions and handbook development;
– Performs other duties as may be assigned by the supervisor(s).
PERSONAL & PROFESSIONAL COMPETENCIES
– University degree in statistics, mathematics, social sciences, computer science or other related field with a strong statistical background;
– At least four years’ progressive experience in social research and conducting quantitative data analysis of large datasets, and with good knowledge of statistical applications;
– Excellent command of spoken and written English and Arabic;
– UN Core Values of Professionalism, Integrity and Respect for Diversity and Core Competencies of Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results apply by default. Default managerial competencies may apply. In addition, the following Functional Competencies apply:
– Applying Technical Expertise
– Creating and Innovating
– Planning and Organizing
– Learning and Researching
The incumbent may be:
– Required to travel within and outside the Field in the Agency’s Area of Operations for duty purposes;
– Required to work beyond regular working hours
CONDITIONS OF SERVICE
– Basic Salary: Monthly basic salary $1,391.40; and monthly dependency allowance up to $123.25.
– Contract Duration: Three years including 1 year probation period.
– Employment for this post might be either on full-time or part-time basis based on the needs.
Announcing this modality does not mean that it would definitely be used. It would rather give the
Agency the flexibility to use both full time and part time contracts based on the work needs and the
personal circumstances or preferences of the staff member.
– Leave: 30 days annual leave
– Pension: Provident Fund contribution
– Other conditions of service and benefits may apply.
When the minimum requirements are not fully met, the Director of Human Resources; in consultation with the Director of UNRWA Operations, Gaza may exceptionally substitute part of the unmet requirements with a combination of relevant academic qualifications, additional professional training and progressive relevant work experience.
NB: Work experience alone or formal qualifications with no relevant work experience are not considered an acceptable combination.
Qualified candidates will be required to undergo tests and a competency based interview. To learn more about positive and negative indicators of professional behaviors within the UN competencies, you may review the UN Competency Development – A Practical Guide
UNRWA is a United Nations organization whose staff are expected to uphold the highest standards of integrity, neutrality and impartiality. This includes respect for human rights, for diversity, and for non-violent means of dealing with all kinds of conflict. UNRWA staff are expected to uphold these values at all times, both at work and outside. Only persons who fully and unconditionally commit to these values should consider applying for UNRWA jobs. UNRWA is a non-smoking working environment.
UNRWA encourages applications from qualified and experienced women. It is Agency policy to give full consideration to disabled candidates whose disability does not militate against the effective performance of the duties of the post. UNRWA is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications equally from men and women. Where there are two or more equally qualified candidates, selection preference will normally be given to internal candidates, Palestine Refugees and candidates of the under-represented gender. With their prior agreement, candidates who are approved as suitable for appointment but are not the selected candidate for this vacancy, will be placed on the Agency’s roster of pre-approved candidates for a
period of up to one year, and may be considered for future vacancies in the same position. The Agency maintains the discretion to fill future vacancies for this position from the roster without re-advertising the vacancy.
HOW TO APPLY
If you have got the skills and experience required above, and want to make an active and lasting contribution to improving the lives of Palestine refugees, then register on
by creating a personal profile and completing the UNRWA Personal History Form. Only applications received through this website will be considered. Please note that UNRWA only accepts degrees from accredited educational institutions. Candidates may also be invited to take a technical exam in order further evaluate their qualifications for the post. Due to a high volume of applications received, only short-listed applicants will be contacted. The United Nations does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process. The United Nations does not concern itself with information on bank accounts.
As an Area post, preference will be given to local candidates already based in the duty station of the post.