UNDP | GIS Engineer
Job ID/Title : 886 - GIS Engineer
Category : Infrastucture and Engineering
Application Deadline : 29-Apr-16
Duty Station : Gaza
Duration of Initial Contract : 12 months
Expected Duration of Assignment :
UNDP/PAPP, as a leading agency in Early Recovery within Gaza Strip, is entrusted by IBSA (India, Brazil and South Africa) to implement Reconstruction works for Atta Habib medical center in addition to the Arab Monetary Fund / allocations Al Aqsa Fund & Arab Bank for Economic Development in Africa / allocations Al Aqsa Fund both IDB management to implement rehabilitation of 600 houses that were severely damaged during summer hostilities in 2014; in addition to the funds expected from Saudi Arabia project through UNRWA “Repair of damaged non-refugee homes and 3 non-UNRWA schools in the Gaza”
and from United Arab Emirates for rehabilitation scheme of early recovery interventions. Furthermore, SIDA and Norway had contributed with cash assistance scheme for people whose houses are not suitable for living as a result of the hostilities to find an alternate houses until reconstruction of their damaged houses is completed.
The GIS Engineer will work to assist the infrastructure team to deliver the designated tasks under the different projects with high quality, accuracy and consistency of work. S/he cooperates with program and the operations teams in the Gaza, West Bank and Jerusalem, UN Agencies, UNDP/PAPP counterparts and civil society as required exchanging information and supporting Project.
UNDP/PAPP- Infrastructure unit is seeking a candidate to fill the position of GIS Engineer, under the overall guidance of the Head of Infrastructure Unit in Gaza office and the project managers.
As this position is related to the Infrastructure Unit in Gaza Office and to the Projects articulated above with an expected duration of 12 Months, the Service Contract extension will be conditioned to satisfactory performance evaluation as well as availability of funding under the project. The projects will include Reconstruction works for Atta Habib medical center in addition to the Arab Monetary Fund / allocations Al Aqsa Fund & Arab Bank for Economic Development in Africa / allocations Al Aqsa Fund both IDB management to implement rehabilitation of 600 houses that were severely damaged during summer hostilities in 2014; in addition to the funds expected from Saudi Arabia project through UNRWA “Repair of damaged non-refugee homes and 3 non-UNRWA schools in the Gaza”
and from United Arab Emirates for rehabilitation scheme of early recovery interventions.
Description of Responsibilities:
Under the supervision of Projects Managers, GIS engineer will be required to manage the following specific tasks:
- Conducting spatial and non-spatial data gathering including identifying requirements for spatial analysis and products relevant to activities of UNDP.
- Preparing data documentation and metadata, Geo-data processing including creating, updating, and preparing geographic layers for GIS projects. This includes cleaning, compiling and collating from various sources, comparison and cross checking.
- Evaluating data from public resources or third-party providers and submit to his/her supervisor/s
- Applying QA/QC processes to maintain integrity of mapping resources and geospatial data
- Preparing maps with GIS data sets and timely process Geographical data coming from the field.
- Support the development and integration of maps within UNDP’s different reports.
- Proposing GIS solutions to problems and considers timeliness, effectiveness, and practicality in addressing UNDP needs
- Generating innovative solutions by approaching problems with the ability to use spatial scripting and programming skills for repetitive tasks (using tools such as Python).
- Applying GIS analysis for a wide variety of engineering, geospatial and environmental projects using ESRI Products as well as other open-source software packages.
- Standardize data collection processes, design survey forms and supervise the process
- Operate and maintain GIS system including updating of data, database administration.
- Database administrating, editing and designing using both geospatial and non-spatial data
- Proactively evaluating optimal and efficient solutions to geospatial problems on projects
- Computer modeling and GIS work related to spatial problems
- Promote geographic data collection and reporting using GPS & mobile devices and google earth & online interactive mapping.
Provides administrative support to the Project focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Provide GIS technical assistance and support to other members of the office
- Compile geographic data from a variety of sources including censuses, field observation, satellite imagery, and existing maps.
- Meet with users to define data needs, project requirements, required outputs, or to develop applications.
- Perform Quality Control tests on data entry and map deliverables done by others
- Create maps and graphs, using GIS software and related equipment to reach international cartographic standards.
- Communicate and be able to work as part of a large team.
- Proactively provide ideas and solutions to solve project related problems
- Analyze spatial data for geographic statistics to incorporate into documents and reports.
- Segregate and prepare presentation of information for identification of areas for support in close coordination and collaboration with the unit team.
- Gather, analyze, and integrate spatial data from staff and determine how best the information can be presented using GIS to the staff.
- Design and update database, applying additional knowledge of spatial feature representations.
- Present information to users and answer questions through direct presentation using the proper software such as PowerPoint, Breezi, etc...
- Retrieve stored map including query spatial and Non-spatial data utilizing SQL.
Impact of Results
- Data integrity between national data sources as well as international data sources.
- Updated spatial database illustrating the spatio-temporal progress of the project.
- Active participation in Engineer/Project Manager technical meetings and assistance with GIS related problems
- Active participation in weekly project staff meeting including presenting of the related data and participating in decision making.
- Maintaining, accurate, quality and completion documentation as identified in responsibilities above.
- To have been an integral part of the successful delivery of projects on time, above the expectations of all stakeholders
- Experience of the use of information management to improve the business processes.
- Proven and demonstrable experience in analysis of information and capacity to articulate the information management requirements of complex situations requiring a coordinated responses.
- Excellent communication (spoken and written) skills including the ability to convey complex information management concepts and recommendations to concerned staff.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism
Management and Leadership
- Focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to work efficiently and independently under pressure, with strong delivery orientation
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Knowledge in financial resources and human resources management, contract, asset and procurement, information and communication technology, general administration
- Demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills
- Ability to extract, interpret, analyze data and resolve problems
- Demonstrates excellent presentation skill
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Promotes knowledge sharing and learning culture in the office
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more Practice Areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills
- Disseminates information on best practices and promote achievement of UNDP.
- BA Degree in a GIS or Geomatics discipline.
- Minimum 4 years Experience in the usage of GIS/ GPS software packages, office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and knowledge of spread sheet and database packages, experience in handling of web based management systems. Excellent communication and writing skills.
- Fluency in Arabic and English languages. Spoken and written.
“UNDP/PAPP is an equal opportunity employer: applications from both internal and external men and women will be considered equally”
UNDP actively supports the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities adopted by the United Nations General Assembly
Important message to all applicants!
-Please be aware that the UNDP/PAPP will review your application only if you have uploaded Personal History Form (P.11) to your application. Please download the form from the following link: http://jobs.undp.ps.
-You will get the opportunity to upload the P-11 at when you apply for the position.
-Incomplete applications or applications received after the closing date will not be given consideration. Please note that only applications that are under consideration will be contacted.
-For more detailed information about UNDP/PAPP please visit our website at www.undp.ps.